Black sole whole roast black sole on the bone
To serve 4
For The Sole
- 4 ea Whole Black/Dover Sole
- 1 ea Finely Diced Red Onion
- 20g Fine Capers
- 2 ea Lemons Juiced
- 400 g Unsalted Butter
- 20 g Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
For The Artichoke Gratin
- 200g Smoked Gubeen Cheese (Cut into small cubes)
- 300 ml Cream
- 200 ml White Wine
- 2 ea Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 2 ea Shallots, finely diced
- 2tsp Chopped thyme
- 100g Gruyere Cheese
- 30g Flat Leaf Parsley Chopped
- 200g Fresh Bread Crumb
- 0.5 ea Lemon (for Juice)
- 250g Washed Thinly Sliced Jerusalem Artichokes
- 250g Peeled Thinly Sliced Potatoes
- 100g Washed Roughly Chopped Kale
- Olive Oil
- Begin with the sole itself, ask your fish monger to skin and trim your sole ready for roasting.
- Melt the butter in a pot over a low heat until the milk solids have fallen to the bottom.
- Using a brush paint the fish on both sides with plenty of butter but only from the top of the pot, season with a little salt and pepper before placing on a roasting tray and into a pre heated oven at 180 degrees.
- This should take no more than 15 minutes to cook through. Once cooked squeeze a little lemon juice over and allow to rest a little before serving.
For the Gratin
- Heat a wide base pan and drizzle a little olive oil over it. Now add the diced shallots garlic and thyme and cook gently until the shallots are soft.
- Now add the white wine and boil until you reduce the volume by half. Now add the cream and reduce the heat to a simmer, add in the cheese cubes and continue to stir until all the cheese has dissolved.
- At this point you can add in the sliced potato and artichoke and simmer for 5-10 minutes taking care not to allow the sauce to catch at the bottom of the pot. Remove from the heat and add the chopped kale along with a little squeeze of lemon.
- You can now place this mixture into individual gratin dishes or 1 big one to share at the table. In a bowl mix the crumbs, grated gruyere cheese and chopped parsley. Cover the top of the artichoke dish with a layer of the crumb and cheese.
- Place the dish in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until the crumb topping is golden brown.
- Finally prepare the butter, add the red onion into a pot over a gentle heat along with a little olive oil and cook gently until soft. Now add the lemon juice and boil until the liquid has reduced by half and the onions have taken an overall red/pink colour.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter from earlier taking care not to add the milk solids, add in the fine capers and flat leaf parsley to finish.
- To Serve: Place the Sole in the centre of the plate and spoon plenty of the butter down the centre of the fish, garnish with a little lemon and pea shoots or a sprig of parsley. Serve the gratin along side in its own dish, BEAUTIFUL